Maryland Tourism Works


2019 was a great year for the Maryland tourism industry! Visitors to Maryland spent nearly $19 billion in that calendar year, up 3 percent from the previous year. The Economic Impact of Tourism in Maryland, an independent report conducted by Tourism Economics, shows visitation reached 41.2 million. Nearly 85 percent, or close to 35 million, were leisure travelers and the remaining 15 percent, or nearly 6.3 million, were business travelers. Overnight travelers represented 46 percent of the state’s total visitation, or nearly 19 million. In 2019, both the leisure and the overnight travel segments grew by 1.3 and 1.7 percent respectively. Maryland’s visitor volume had a 1.6 percent increase. At the national level, there was a 3.3 percent increase in visitor volume.

Visitor spending generated $2.6 billion in state and local taxes, saving each household in Maryland $1,175 in annual taxes. While visitor spending in Maryland has continued to grow each year since 2009, 2019 had the fastest growth in visitor spending since 2015. Tourism is one of the largest private-sector employers in Maryland, supporting over 226,000 direct and indirect jobs in the state, meaning one out of every 16 jobs in Maryland is a tourism job. More than half of all tourism jobs are family-sustaining jobs.

Maryland’s strategic tourism marketing plan demonstrated significant results in 2019, with increases in visitation and visitor spending at our state’s lodging, food & beverage, retail, recreation, and transportation providers. COVID-19 devastated the tourism industry. As the state continues to recover from COVID-19, it should be recognized that the tourism industry was truly and severely impacted. During the months ahead, as all of Maryland moves towards a brighter future, the state and its tourism industry partners are working hard to ensure that Maryland will truly be ‘Open for Business.’

We Unite

For over 50 years, the Maryland Tourism Coalition has represented and united varied segments of tour and travel, bringing together the entire industry to enhance business growth and to promote the development of Maryland tourism.

We Build

Maryland Tourism Coalition strives to create the most productive statewide tourism climate possible. We promote business, offer professional development activities, and enhance our economic impact for the benefit of all Marylanders.

We Support

Maryland Tourism Coalition works on behalf of its members to affect positive change and defend the industry. Through direct advocacy, Tourism Day and educational sessions, our members inform and engage elected officials. Diversity is our strength, unity is our power.

Annual Sponsors

Maryland Office of TourismHearst Women's Travel GroupMaryland Sports Commission LogoVisit Annapolis & Anne ArundelD3 logo1631 DigitalAAA WorldEffectv logoMeredith 2021 LogoMinute Man pressMaher's FloristJMPB LogoSix Flags AmericaSouthern Living LogoMaryland's Coast Worcester County

MTC Partners


Join MTC in 2022!

MTC strives to create the most productive statewide tourism climate possible. Members from all segments of the industry work together to promote business, participate in professional development activities, and enhance our economic impact for the benefit of all Marylanders. Together…as a tourism coalition, we can strengthen our industry and positively affect our economy, which benefits all Marylanders.

It’s time to join the hundreds of business and association members of Maryland Tourism Coalition working to grow and support tourism throughout Maryland.